CorsairLINK doesn’t work when resuming from sleep

I love my Corsair H100i liquid cooler and the CorsairLINK software is quite nice, but I’ve noticed a bug where it doesn’t work correctly when it resumes from standby. The fan RPM doesn’t update and CorsairLINK won’t change the fan speed in accordance with temperature. Obviously, this could have disastrous consequences if unnoticed.

Until Corsair fix this bug, I’ve produced a little workaround which simply restarts CorsairLINK when the computer resumes from sleep.

(more…)

Windows 8 Modern Apps Crashing Immediately

I recently had a problem where my Windows 8 apps would crash immediately when launched, returning me to the start screen. I was scratching my head for a while, but I’ve found the root cause of this problem in my case and a possible solution.

I found the following error in my Event Log:

Faulting application name: gMusic.exe, version: 2.0.2.0, time stamp: 0x519e3af9
Faulting module name: atidxx64.dll, version: 8.17.10.489, time stamp: 0x5154f02f
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000062a90
Faulting process ID: 0x23d8
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce5fcf32216421
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\47286outcoldman.gMusic_2.1.0.63_x64__z1q2m7teapq4y\gMusic.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\atidxx64.dll
Report ID: 6ffde877-cbc2-11e2-bed2-5404a63216e6
Faulting package full name: 47286outcoldman.gMusic_2.1.0.63_x64__z1q2m7teapq4y
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

 

The referenced faulting module is atidxx64.dll, which provides DirectX support to AMD graphics cards. It turns out that in upgrading to Catalyst 13.4, this module was now causing problems. A simple solution would be to roll back to 13.1, but I also found that restoring factory settings in the AMD Vision Engine Control Center fixed this crash immediately.

amd-ccc

Edit: Looks like morphological filtering is the root cause of this. You can disable just this option rather than restoring defaults. Thanks to Murray in the comments for pointing this out.

Wrong partition sizes after cloning

I’ve just finished migrating multiple partitions from a series of old hard drives onto brand new 2TB disks. I created the new partitions on my new HDDs and then used dd, or more specifically ddrescue, to copy the partition data over. When I booted into Windows though, the partitions were still showing as being their old sizes from when they were on the old HDDs. I made the (wrong) assumption that Windows would automatically correct it when it detected there was a discrepancy between the partition table and the indications within the partition.

I tried chkdsk and chkntfs to run and schedule Windows’ disk checker, but this found nothing of any particular interest and didn’t fix my problem. The solution I found was to use a tool like parted (or gparted) and shrink the partitions down by some arbitrary value (1MB in my case) , reboot, and run chkdsk again. This will hopefully change the size of the partition to be correct in Windows. Note that the disk management in Windows doesn’t seem to like to shrink the drives and fired back an error whenever I attempted it; I had to boot into gparted to resize them.

As they were only partitions I had used for archived files and such, I think a better solution in future would be to copy the files over, retaining permissions etc., rather than copy the raw data from the partition directly.